Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

There Is Such Thing As A Free Meal

| Working | July 18, 2014

(I have an awful flight with multiple stop-overs, also requiring me to spend the night at an airport hotel, which I’ve pre-paid. Since I live in Canada I don’t have US dollars on me, while I also forget my credit card. I arrive at the hotel tired and extremely hungry since my last meal was over 24 hours ago and the airplane didn’t serve food.)

Concierge: “Good evening. How are you?”

Me: “I’m fine, thanks. You don’t happen to take Canadian dollars for room service, do you?”

Concierge: “I’m sorry, but we don’t. You also won’t be able to change your money because it’s too late in the evening. Are you hungry?”

Me: “Actually, I’m starving but I suppose I’ll have to tough it out.”

Concierge: “Have you eaten today?”

Me: “I haven’t, but I’ll just get something tomorrow morning.”

Concierge: “No, that won’t do! Would you like my dinner? It’s only a microwave meal but better than nothing!”

Me: “No, no, that’s fine! I can’t eat your dinner. You’re working!”

Concierge: “My shift is almost over. Seriously, you can have it! It’s not a problem!”

Me: “Well, if you’re sure about this I’d be very glad to accept your offer.”

Concierge: “Absolutely! I’ll just get you checked in first and then I’ll see about that dinner.”

(The concierge then proceeded to warm up her dinner in the staff microwave and even gave me her soda and an apple! It was one of the nicest things a stranger has ever done for me. I left a thank-you note with the day concierge when I left the next morning and I hope she knew how much I appreciated her kindness.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!