Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

That Age-Old Problem

| Working | July 8, 2014

(I am training a new employee on how to run the cash register. A trainer is expected to cover every topic in the store. After around six hours of babbling, my mouth is running on automatic. A woman in her 30s enters the line and asks for cigarettes.)

Me: “Okay, [New Cashier]. Whenever you’re running on a normal register, you need to page customer service to get cigarettes. Remember, you’re also responsible to check IDs. You really don’t have to now, but—”

(The new cashier turns and gives me a look of horror while the customer scoffs.)

Customer: *sounding offended* “Thanks a lot!”

Me: “What?” *the realization of what I said then sinks in* “OH! Oh, no I didn’t mean anything by that! I meant that, uhm… I’m sorry?”

(The customer refused to look at or listen to me, and I lost my train of thought and fell silent. She paid for her cigarettes and left without another word. Sorry, Customer! I really didn’t mean to imply that you looked old!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!