Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Playing Them At Their Own Game

| Working | October 6, 2015

(I work in a startup company with a boss who treats it like her own personal toy. While it may seem irrelevant, the fact is that her husband made enough money so that she could pretend to be an entrepreneur with no real consequences. We are creating a new “Facebook” for fitness instructors that would lead the Internet. While I am working and my coworker is creating 3D models, this conversation happens. She enters on Monday:)

Boss: “Hey, yesterday I saw this really cool thing that you can move in front of your TV and it sees it. We should make a game about fitness!”

Me: “Ah, that is probably Kinect. Well, while it is possible, I really doubt we can pull it off. Games are made by big companies with experience, but we have a three people team and two of them know nothing about programming and such… “

Boss: “Well, have you looked into it? Why do you always dismiss it. If we made it, it would be BIG and you have to start thinking BIG!”

(I stop talking and let her go on. After a while and to my surprise, my coworker, who is always quiet speaks up.)

Coworker: “Actually, this sounds like a great idea. I am not sure how they do it, but we could probably do it.”

(My jaw drops. My boss is happy and leaves.)

Me: “Why in the world would you say that?”

Coworker: “Well, you will have to join me in this “research.” I take it we will need about a week or so to realize it is not really possible and report to her accordingly.”

(So we played with motion detection game for a week and while I was a little nervous about how we are going to tell her that it’s not that easy, she had already forgotten about that by Friday.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!