Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou Discount?

, , | Right | June 24, 2018

(I work at a popular fast-casual restaurant as a cashier. There are four managers there who are brothers. While they aren’t identical, they all share olive skin, dark hair, and stocky body types. Usually only one or two of them are in on any given day. This day is no exception. There is one manager here, filling out paperwork in the back office as I’m ringing up a customer. After I take his order, the following occurs:)

Me: “All right, sir, your total is [total].”

Customer: “Can I get a discount with that? I’m the manager’s brother.”

(I’m immediately taken aback, as this customer is pale, thin, and redheaded, and therefore looks in no way related to my managers.)

Me: “Um, are you sure, sir?”

Customer: *frowning* “Of course I’m sure. I know who my own brother is.”

(I don’t want to directly accuse the customer of lying, even though I know he is. Luckily, out of the corner of my eye I see my manager walking behind the counter, probably to see how his employees are doing. He has a good sense of humor, so I decide to have a little fun.)

Me: *pointing to [Customer]* “Hey, [Manager], I didn’t know you had four brothers!”

Manager: *momentarily confused, but quickly understanding* “Oh, yeah. I didn’t tell you? He’s adopted.”

([Customer]’s eyes widen as he sees how little he resembles [Manager].)

Customer: *turning red with embarrassment* “What was the total again?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!