Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Charged For Battery

| Working | July 3, 2015

(My [Apple Computer] has been sluggish and uncooperative in a way that can’t be accounted for by its amount of free space, its dead battery, or anything else I can think of. I take it to an Apple Store Genius Bar, where they determine that it needs a new motherboard. Since replacing the motherboard would cost over $600, my mother takes it to the Electronics Store where we bought it, since we bought a warranty from them. My mom calls me from the store.)

Mom: “He says that the motherboard is covered, but the battery isn’t.”

Me: “Well, that’s fine. The battery isn’t urgent, and it won’t cost me nearly as much.”

(The employee tells my mom the repair will take two weeks. Almost two weeks later, I get a call that it’s ready, and go to [Electronics Store]’s computer repair counter. An employee brings out my laptop.)

Employee: “Let’s just turn it on and see if everything’s running okay.”

Me: “Oh, you’ll need to plug it in, the battery’s—”

(The employee presses the button and the computer turns on. I stare in confusion.)

Employee: “We replaced the battery.”

Me: *shocked* “What?! I was told that wasn’t covered!”

Employee: “Well, that’s a fun debate we like to have here at [Electronics Store]…”

Me: “So you replaced it for free?!”

Employee: “Yep!”

Me: “Oh, my God! Thank you! This is awesome!”

Employee: “That’s a nice walk-in, eh?”

(I look at the bottom of the laptop, noticing it has all four rubber feet; previously it had been missing two which had fallen off.)

Me: “Did you put new feet on it?”

Employee: “Yeah.”

Me: “Wow! Thank you!”

Employee: “I wish we just kept a bucket of those, because so many Mac users have them fall off.”

(I left the store glowing with happiness at my like-new computer. I got a $600 motherboard and a $150 battery replaced for free, which means the 3-year warranty I bought has now paid for itself more than twice over. The next day I noticed that they’d even cleaned the screen! Thank you, Electronics Store!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!