Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Needs Half A Voice Of Reason

, | Working | May 5, 2015

(I have lost most of my voice and go to see the doctor to make sure that I am not contagious and can safely go to work. The doctor clears me, but tells me that I should probably get some rest instead. Knowing we’ll be busy, I go to work and spend 11 hours helping customers, cleaning, and doing my regular job duties. Because it’s the holidays, we are especially busy, so I skip my lunch and dinner breaks. At the end of the night, my regular manager compliments me on my performance and gives me meal vouchers for skipping my breaks and helping out. Right after this, I get called into the general manager’s office for a chat. Note that my already hoarse voice is now just the barest whisper since I’ve been talking to customers all day and evening.)

Me: *whispering as loudly as possible* “[General Manager], you wanted to see me? Is something wrong?”

General Manager: “No, everything’s great. I just wanted to talk to you about your performance today.”

Me: *thinking he’s going to compliment me* “Oh, I didn’t mind skipping my breaks or anything. We were really busy!”

General Manager: “No, it’s not that. I’m just really disappointed in you.”

Me: “What? Why?”

General Manager: “How dare you come in here with half a voice. That’s not the image we want to project about [Company]!”

Me: “But I was cleared by the doctor. I’m not contagious. Next time should I take the day off instead?”

General Manager: “Don’t worry about it. You’re fired. Take your things and leave immediately. And you owe us $5 for your work shirt.”

(This was only the second week the restaurant had been open, and the general manager had fired at least a dozen people for similar things so far. The website says that the company treats its employees like beloved family!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!