Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Long-Handed Short-Change

| Right | November 3, 2012

(I have been working for almost 14 hours straight, and have had several difficult customers throughout the day. A customer approaches the counter and places a 4-pack of beer on the counter. I scan it through.)

Me: “Okay, that will be £5.54, please.”

(The customer hands over £10.)

Me: “Okay, so that’s £4.46 change.”

Customer: “Thank you. Oh wait, this is on offer. It’s only meant to be £4.49.”

(I check the shelf, and it is indeed meant to be £4.49.)

Me: “Sorry about that, I’ll just refund your money then charge through the correct price.”

(I do this. The man now has 2 piles of money. One of £5.54, and one of £4.46. A total of £10. I take £4.49 from the £5.54 pile and put it in the till. This leaves him with £5.51 in two piles. One pile of £4.46 and the other of £1.05.)

Customer: “Is that us straight now?”

Me: “Yes. Were fine.”

Customer: “No! That money there is yours!” *points at the £1.05* “It needs to go in your till. Then you need to give me £1.05 from the till.”

Me: “Erm… what?”

Customer: “You’ve f***** up! That money is yours. Put it in the till then give me an extra £1.05!”

Me: “You want me to put £1.05 in the till. Then take £1.05 out of the till?”

Customer: “Yes that’s your money.” *points at the £1.05 on the counter* “Put it in the till, then give me £1.05.”

Me: “Erm… okay?”

(I do this and the man leaves the shop. I turn to look at my supervisor, who has tears of laughter streaming down his face.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!