Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Changed Each Other

| Right | November 2, 2012

(I work part-time at a store that sells pools, hot tubs, and other leisure items.)

Me: “Will that be everything today?”

Customer: “Yes, miss. What’s the damage?”

Me: “That’ll be $50.05, sir.”

(The customer opens his wallet and hands me a $50 bill.)

Customer: “I’m sorry, but I only have the $50. I left my coin-purse at home today. Is that okay?”

Me: “Not a problem, sir. I’m sure I’ve got a nickel in my purse, somewhere.”

(I get a coworker to watch my till while I grab my purse from the staff room and try to find a nickel. I grab one, put it in the drawer, and cash the customer out; he thanks me and leaves the store, but a few hours later, my boss pages me to call his office immediately.)

Me: “You rang, sir?”

Boss: “Yes. Can you come to the front of the store, please? There’s someone who wants to speak with you.”

(When I reach the storefront, the same customer is standing at the counter. He’s holding a beautiful, red rose, which he gives to me—along with a nickel!)

Me: “T…thank you, sir. You know, you didn’t have to do this!”

Customer: “Yes, miss. I did. You went above and beyond your job-description to help someone in need, and that’s customer service!”

Me: *trying not to cry by this point* “Thank you so much, sir! Have a nice day!”

Customer: “And you as well, young lady!”

(After he left the store, my boss sent him a $50 gift-card, for ‘treating our staff like human beings’. It’s been 10 years since then, but I’ll never forget that customer for as long as I live. To this day, his kindness reminds me that there is still good in this world!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!