Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Has Designs On Quitting

| Working | October 16, 2015

(My first job is a design engineer as for a small company. The boss has no design training or experience but likes to think he knows better than me and frequently overrides my decisions on design of small parts. I design a simple hinge to allow the legs of a piece of mobile equipment to swing in and out and be locked in position.)

Boss: “It’s too blocky. Make it more round.”

Me: “The edges are rounded. No one will hurt themselves off it.”

Boss: “No, it needs to look more curvy.”

Me: “What do you mean?”

(The boss then proceeds to draw a new design that cuts out all extra material including the hole for locking in place during transport.)

Me: “How will we lock the legs in place during transport?”

Boss: “Oh, we’ll worry about that later. Just make it up like that.”

(A couple of weeks later boss is in my office again when a coworker comes rushing in.)

Coworker: “[My Name], we need some way to lock the legs in place! Look, there’s only these two holes. How can we lock the legs in place during transport?”

Boss: “Haha! You didn’t think of that with your fancy college degree, did you?!”

Me: “…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!