Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Ballooning Ego’s

, | Friendly | September 7, 2016

(My kids’ elementary school has an annual fair that is scheduled to end at 8. At about 7:45, we start to notify those at the end of particularly long lines that after them the lines will be “closed.” Everyone who is waiting can participate but we will finish at 8:00. Since people have trouble understanding this, I stand in front of the balloon animal table sending people away. This takes place about 8:15 at the balloon animal station, where 10-year-old students are creating the ever-popular balloon animals.)

Mother: *with kindergarten-aged son, walking up to my daughter as she is working on her last balloon animal of the night* “My son really wants a balloon animal.”

Me: “I’m sorry, the fair ended 15 minutes ago so we aren’t making any more.”

Mother: “But he really wants one.”

Me: “I’m sorry; we can’t do this all night, so we cut off the line when the fair ended.”

Mother: *to my daughter* “Make him a dog!”

Me: “No, she won’t be making one. The fair ended 15 minutes ago and it’s time for us to clean up and go home.”

Mother: “So, why are THEY getting balloon animals?!”

Me: “Well, these people were waiting in line before 8:00 so we are finishing theirs.”

Mother: “Why are you giving a balloon animal to that girl?” *pointing to the girl waiting for her balloon* “She’s too old to need one. They should be for little kids like my son.”

Me: “Actually, this girl was volunteering at one of the games the whole time. Since she wants one, I think she deserves one for all her hard work.”

My Daughter: *to teenager waiting* “Here’s your balloon.” *reaches out to pass the balloon to her*

Mother: *snatches balloon from my daughter’s hand, then hands it to her young son*

Son: *big smile*

(The jaws of my daughter, I, the teenager, and everyone else around who witnessed this, drop, staring at this mother, speechless.)

Mother & Son: *walk away*

My Daughter: *exhausted and ready to go home* Mom, I know we weren’t going to make any more but can I make one more for her?” *pointing at teenager*

Me: “Of course. I can’t believe that just happened!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!