Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Taxing Customer, Part 2

| Right | July 2, 2016

(I work the front desk overnight at a franchise hotel. We give guests receipts underneath their doors the night before their departure. One morning, toward the end of my shift, an irate woman approaches the desk.)

Guest: “What are these extra charges on my receipt?!”

Me: “Hmm, let me bring this up on my computer to check this out… Well, all I see on here is the room charge and tax. Is there more on your copy that I could see?”

Guest: “Yes! There’s two taxes! State, and then this weird one!”

Me: “Oh, the occupancy tax? That is another term for the federal tax. Were you supposed to be tax exempt?”

Guest: “No, but I’ve never paid federal tax before! That’s not supposed to be there!”

Me: “I apologize, but this is just how the tax is set up here. We divide the state and federal, “occupancy” tax, instead of combining them, as they would at a gas station or elsewhere. It’s the same percentage on each, though.”

Guest: “No, this isn’t right. I’m going to have to ask my people.” *storms off*

Me: “…her people? Oh, well, whomever she asks will tell her the same.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!