Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #90279

, , | Unfiltered | June 24, 2017

I took over the responsibility of running a small team at work, it was clear that they were unhappy so i did all i could to help them out, talk with them regularly and generally keep them running smoothly.

Things improved quickly, but one person always had a complaint, be it work related or otherwise.

He asked to speak to me in private.

Worker: I’ve got a problem, why am i being paid much less than everyone else?

Me: I don’t know your exact wage, but i don’t think you are.

Worker: Well i know that i am! (worker 1) and (worker 2) get paid a lot more than me.

Me; They have been in the position for much longer than you, have completed their training and have had pay increases based on their yearly performance.

Worker: Ok, well how do i complete my training?

Me: You have to show competence in each area of the job, there is a sign off sheet for each skill. When you and I are happy with the skill we will both sign. When you have signed all of them, you are officially trained.

Worker: Ok i want to do that.

(I collect all of the training sheets, they have been written to cover one skill each, i improved them to make sure it was very clear. You could actually use the sheet to help you in the job. Under each one you signed to say that you are competent in that skill and have received training, that if you fail to follow the instruction you may be questioned and possibly (in extreme cases) disciplined.
I give the pack to him and hear nothing until i am called into HR.

HR manager: We have had a complaint about unfair treatment and entrapment. Apparently you have asked (worker) to sign something that will get him in trouble.

Me: That would be the training document, have you read it?

HR manager: Yes.

Me: And you can see that it is nothing like entrapment and everyone has been treated the same?

HR manager: Yes, that was all thanks.

(Not to be put off, i explained everything to the worker again and how this was fair and normal, he accepted and i heard nothing back until i get called into HR again.)

HR manager: We have had a complaint that you are paying someone who works for you less, because of his race,

Me: This would be (worker)?

HR manager: I cannot say.

Me: Ok, i am going to pretend that (Worker) is the only person reporting to me of a different race and explain. (worker) will be paid the full amount for the role minus merit increases earned by others for their long service. He can only do this once he has signed the training documents. This has been explained.

HR manager: And if her refuses to sign?

Me: No one can make a mistake and not face discipline if it is appropriate. That is what this is about. If he truly believes that he cannot do the job after several months, multiple training sessions, i will happily transfer him to any other department that needs him.

HR manager: To be honest with you, i have already spoken to the individual, and think that this is the case but i need to follow the process.

(I hoped that this was all over, i had been nothing but patient and tried to help and explain again he seemed to understand and be happy with the extra effort i was doing to get him more money. To my surprise the worker took me to an independent tribunal which sided in my favour, he then took me to another tribunal that sided in my favour. He later signed the documents and got the payrise without issue.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!