Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #287308

, , | Unfiltered | March 23, 2023

(My mother-in-law grew up with strict but loving parents and constantly compares my childhood- which she doesn’t know a lot of details about- to hers, and likes to say that because she was able to ‘pull herself up by her bootstraps’ then I should too. Eventually, I have enough.)
Mother-in-law: “You should come to the Christmas Party I’m having! Everyone would love to meet you.”
Me: “Sorry, I don’t do well in crowds, especially in crowds of strangers.”
Mother-in-law: “Oh, it won’t be crowded. Just a few people.”
Me: “Oh, really? How many is a few?”
Mother-in-law: “About a hundred or so, so not that many.”
Wife: “That’s a lot of people. We’ll come by after the party or something instead.”
Mother-in-law: “Oh, pfft, that’s not a lot of people. I already told everyone you’d both be there.”
Me: “100 people crammed into your condo is much too big of a crowd for me. If I went, I’d most likely have a panic attack and have to leave early.”
Mother-in-law: “Our childhoods weren’t so different and I can handle crowds just fine!”
Wife: “Mom! What the- did you really just say that? You know [my name] has PTSD!”
Mother-in-law: “My childhood was just like hers and I’M just fine-”
Me: “Oh, so your mom locked you in a bathroom for three days straight when you were four?”
Mother-in-law: “What? No, of course not!”
Me: “Oh, so your father let his wife abuse you for 17 years because he doesn’t like you either? Were you homeless as a teenager because your parents stole your money for alcohol and kicked you out when you hid your money from them?”
Mother-in-law: “….no.”
Me: “Then maybe our childhoods were more different than you like to think. I’m not going to your party.”
Wife: “And you need to go. If you can’t respect my wife and her mental health then you’re not welcome in our house.”
(My Mother-in-law apologized the next day, but our relationship became strained after that.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!