Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #257045

, | Unfiltered | April 17, 2022

(I am a part of a social media group dedicated to an infamous fantasy novel/film series where all posts are memes, discussions and anecdotes related to the series. There is a post highlighting themes in the novel, with two of the themes mentioned being homophobia and racism. The following interaction occurs in the comments section of the post. Note – I have a clear South-East Asian name, and in any reply to me, my name would always be inserted at the beginning of the replying comment.)
Woman: “Yea, this never covered homophobia or racism. It was more blood prejudices (not the same as racism).”
(There are several comments explaining the use of allegory to convey racism, however Woman refuses to listen and continues to state “blood prejudice”, so I chime in)
Me: “Not much with homophobia, but yes to racism though – not our kind of racism obviously, but discrimination against creatures, i.e. giants, elves, centaurs, etc. There was a post about Ron on [social media] and his character evolution, as even though he comes from a progressive pure blood family, he reacted distastefully when encountering creatures e.g. meeting Hagrid and Dobby as well as learning Lupin was a werewolf. He later learns to accept them and treat them normally, proving that people are capable of change.”
Woman: “[My Name] Now see? Saying prejudice makes a lot more sense than saying racism because though they are similar there are significant differences.”
Me: “[Woman] I agree there are differences, but I would still define it as racism. Racism represented through an allegory as, like I said, it’s not our type of racism. Wizards, werewolves, giants, elves – they are all a different race of magical creature except the race of wizardry is considered ultimate. It’s [author]’s way of paralleling racial discrimination in our world.”
Woman: “[My name] Nope, that’s still prejudice…the fact that you said it’s not our type of racism proves it can’t be racism. But prejudice comes in all shapes and forms. So this is more prejudice than anything.”
(I am baffled by this lady’s narrow mind and her refusal to elaborate, yet I reply to her comment politely that an allegory is an extended metaphor that does not imitate but parallels societal issues and that the Oxford Dictionary defines racism as belief in superiority of a race.)
Me: “[Woman] This proves [author]’s representation of discrimination against non-wizards IS racism. It’s the reason why elves are enslaved, why Lupin hid he was a werewolf/why Greyback was never granted a dark mark and why everyone was so quick to believe Hagrid opened the Chamber of Secrets. Maybe if you say why you believe it’s prejudice and not racism, I’ll see your side. But so far you’ve given me no explanation, so let’s just agree to disagree here.”
Woman: “[My name] I understand exactly what an allegory is but I’ve also dealt with racism in real life so, like I said, not the same. There is nothing you could try to say to tell me different because you haven’t experienced it.”
Me: [Woman] honey, have you seen my name? You think that’s a non-ethnic name? You don’t get to play the “I’ve dealt with racism and you haven’t” card with me. But this isn’t the place for those conversations. Back on topic – I’ve tried to explain this whole concept to you but you don’t listen and that is your right and your opinion. Nothing more.”
Woman: “[My Name] I know you’ve experienced prejudice but it’s very similar and very different to racism and you don’t seem to get that.”
Second Commenter: “(Includes screenshot defining racism as prejudice directed against someone of a different race) [Woman] can I just point out that PREJUDICE based on race is COMPLETELY racism, so you trying to tell [My Name] that they have “experienced prejudice” then imply they have NOT experienced racism is extremely backwards.”
Woman: “[Second Commenter] it’s actually not unless you’re in a position of power. Racism also needs social and economic power for it to be effective which is my point everybody seems to be missing.”
Me: “[Woman] Assuming your definition of racism is true, how are none of the examples provided from the book examples of social power? Riddle, a charming wizard, had social status over Hagrid the half giant, and elves have no social or economic status at all.”
Woman: “[My Name] Nope…house elves were able to gain their freedom. Actual slaves didn’t even have that option. If you ever look into real history (not the b******t they teach in school) you would know why trying to compare this to the same as racism black people still go through is not only wrong but disrespectful.”
(It is at this point the original poster decides to respond.)
OP: “[Woman] you have seen the definition of racism. Prejudice is one of the first words in it. It’s the same thing. Let’s stop arguing about this. You’ve not brought any actual explanation as to why you feel it’s different; you give us these points that are exactly the same as racism. Cut the s***. [My name] I agree with you. But I’m turning comments off because I’m tired of seeing the same comments because someone can’t let s*** go. Racism is prejudice.”
(It was clear Woman did not understand the concept of an allegory and believed that as there was no explicit discussion on ethnic races or skin colour in the books, then there was nothing to do with racism. Her arrogance in believing that racism against African Americans was the only form of racism astounds me, as well as her inability to explain her points and her believing I was comparing house elves to real slaves. Despite commenting being turned off, she still laugh reacted to OP’s final post.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!