Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #207971

, | Unfiltered | September 12, 2020

[I work as an Accounts representative with a large bank. Our system can be a little finicky about some transactions – primarily anything to do with cash. We have a particular issue when our customers try to purchase money orders and something else (usually stamps or envelopes) during the same transaction. I get a call related to this.]

Me: Hello! Thank you for choosing, [Bank]; my name is [name]. What can I assist you with today?

Customer: *heavy accent that is extremely difficult to understand*

Me: I’m so sorry, sir, but I didn’t quite catch that. Would you mind repeating?

Customer: *more undistinguishable words* Money order

Me: Okay, I believe I understand now, thank you for the information. To make sure, you’re trying to buy a money order and your card is declining?

Customer: Yes

Me: Do you mind if I ask – are you purchasing anything else with it? Envelopes or stamps maybe?

Customer: Yes, yes, just one stamp is *something that sounds like 40 cents*

Me: I believe I understand the problem. If you’re still there, try and have the attendant run the money order separately from anything else you might be purchasing. Sometimes you have an issue where our system can’t register the transaction properly due to it being considered cash – as money orders are certified funds – and regular point of sale transactions.

Customer: Oh! Okay, okay, yes I will ask.

At this point, I can hear him speaking to what I can only assume is the Postal worker. There’s a bit of back and forth before he comes back on the line. He says something, but I don’t understand and, before I know it, I have a woman on the phone.

Her: Hello?

Me: Hello! I’m [name] with [bank]. Are you the postal worker trying to help [customer] with his money order?

Her: Yes and it won’t work.

Me: Yes, ma’am, you’ll need to run them as separate transactions. *gives spiel about why*

Her: That doesn’t change anything! The stamp is only 41c! There’s something wrong with his card. Fix it.

Me: I’m sorry, ma’am, but this is the first solution I’d like to try to see if it works. It’s worked successfully in the past and I’m just trying to make it as easy and quick as possible for you and [customer].

Her: Fine, have it your way but I’m not gonna be blamed when your silly plan backfires.

From the noise I hear on the phone, I believe she’s given me back to my customer and we wait for about a minute before I hear a, “Well I’ll be damned.”

I don’t ever want to presume how to do someone else’s job, but when a professional says they have an answer, it’s always the best bet to try it before you have to eat your words.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!