Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #149676

, | Unfiltered | May 10, 2019

I sold a couple car parts on eBay, and may have mistakenly sent used ones instead of new. A couple weeks after the transaction, I received a message:

Customer: To whom it may concern: referencing [the items], were the correct items shipped? Please advise. Disclaimer This communique is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this communique in error please notify the system manager. This communique contains confidential information and intended only for the individual named. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Me: Yes, the items pictured and described in the ad are what were shipped.

More than a week passed before I got another response. Every message from the customer ended with that disclaimer.

Customer: To whom it may concern: again referencing [the items]. To clarify, there would be no possible way you sent used items, correct? Please advise.

Me: They were not removed from a car. They were unpackaged but unused.

Another week passed, and I still didn’t know what was going on. Then the customer finally explained, saying there were problems with the parts. We exchanged several messages over the course of the next three days. Unneeded portions of the messages have been removed for brevity:

Customer: Choose your response carefully; if you retain legal council, it is suggested you consult with them prior to responding. They would be best to advise on attempting to defraud via an internet transaction and the consequences for such actions. You shipped via USPS, just to attempt to defraud when USPS is used (a US government agency), may result as a felony offense. Your original shipment parcel has been retained in case legal options are pursued. Please advise.

Me: If what you say is true, then I made an honest mistake. You should use eBay’s return system which exists for this very purpose. I don’t think you’re a scammer, but your messages sound a bit strange, especially since you haven’t opened an eBay claim. If I made a mistake I will make it right, so request a return and I’ll send you a refund.

Customer: To whom it may concern: You state in your last communique “I made an honest mistake”; are openly admitting you sent the incorrect items? You sent obviously well used junk items and not new items? Will the new items be sent? Please advise.

Me: If you received junk items, then I sent incorrect items by mistake. I don’t have new ones anymore. I will gladly refund you, but I can’t do so until you request a refund.

Customer: You have openly admitted to a fraudulent transaction; you never had new parts to offer and sent used junk parts. My patience is wearing thin; it would be unwise to not address this situation immediately. I’m sure you wouldn’t want this situation escalated to the US federal authorities, the Internet Crime Complaint Center; or a fraudulent transaction complaint filed with your local district attorney’s office, etc. Your call; please advise.

Me: If your request for a refund is not fraudulent, please open an “item not as described” case. Request a return and I will send you a refund and you won’t have to deal with me anymore. It’s quick and easy.

Customer: You have been given ample time to resolve this issue and have chosen to do nothing. You have not delivered what your auction claimed it would and have breached our sales contract for sale of goods (check your local uniform commercial code for clarification). Unless this situation is resolved in the next 48 hours; all may be viewed as an attempt to defraud via the internet; which may result in unwanted expenses on your part (court costs, attorney’s fees, compensation for my wasted time, etc). To ignore this situation would be unwise. If you are not grasping the gravity of the situation, it is advised you seek legal counsel. They would be better able to explain product misrepresentation, internet commerce laws/statutes, and the consequences they carry.

Me: If you are not a scammer, there is no reason you should refuse to open a return claim. Even though my 14 day return period ended before you reported a problem, I remain willing to give you a full refund. All you must do is initiate a return according to the policies you agreed to when purchasing items from me.

—————————————

Eventually the customer bullied me into sending a refund through PayPal instead of using the proper return system on eBay. I can only hope it wasn’t a mistake to do that, but the stress of dealing with this idiot was too much.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!