Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You Say Potato I Say Fail

| Working | May 1, 2015

(I am training a new hire to work as a cashier. She has been informed that in addition to completing several computer modules, she will need to memorize 50 PLU codes for fruits and vegetables and pass a test on them before she can complete her training.)

Me: “So here’s the PLU list. You have a couple of weeks before your test; just learn a few new codes every day and you’ll ace it!

Trainee: “Okay!”

(A week passes.)

Me: “So, how are you getting on with those codes?”

Trainee: “Oh, really good! I know all the potatoes!” *looks at me for approval*

Me: *nodding encouragingly* “Okay, that’s three, what else?”

Trainee: “Well… that’s it right now, but… ALL the potatoes. That’s good, right?”

Me: “…”

Trainee: “I’ll keep working on it, I promise.”

(At her next training session, I asked again about her progress on the codes. She avoided eye contact and gave a vague answer. I warned her that the test was coming up soon and reminded her she would need get at least 80% to pass. She said she would be fine and brushed me off. She didn’t pass.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!