Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Will Have To Secede To The Student’s Point

| Learning | April 10, 2014

(I have a learning disability that impairs my reading and spelling skills. As a result I have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) with the special education department that allows me to use a word bank and have extra time on texts. I am also extremely bright and in several advanced classes despite my learning disability. I am in my history class.)

Teacher: “Number seven in your quiz asks what the largest amount of land given up by Virginia by 1800 was… Anyone? Yes, [My Name]?”

Me: “The correct answer is ‘C’, the amount of land given to form the District of Columbia.”

Teacher: “No. Actually, [My Name], the correct answer is ‘A’. The land that we lost when West Virginia seceded.”

Me: “Um, I’m sorry, [Teacher]. While that is the most land the state has ever lost, the question is asking ‘before 1800.’ West Virginia didn’t secede until the early 1860s, during the Civil War.”

(My class all nods in agreement, while my teacher fumes for being shown up by a student.)

Teacher: “[My Name], stop being rude! Come and see me in the staff room during lunch.”

(Later during lunch, I head over to the staff room.)

Me: “Excuse me? I’m here to see [Teacher]?”

Teacher: “Ah, [My Name]. Come here.”

(He waves me over to his work area, where he is sitting with my case manager.)

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. Is there a problem?”

Teacher: “Listen, [My Name]. I know how hard it is for someone with an IEP to be in a ‘regular class,’ not to mention an advanced class, like mine. I was just telling your case manager that I think my class might be a little too hard for you.”

Me: “I beg your pardon, sir? I have the highest grade in your class. How is your class too difficult for me?”

(At this point my teacher from the year before, who has been listening the whole time, speaks up.)

Former Teacher:*laughing* “Don’t worry, [My Name]. [Teacher] is just embarrassed because you could probably teach the class better than he can! Go back to lunch, hon.”

(I nod and leave, but as I’m leaving I hear my teacher mumbling in the back.)

Teacher: “But she’s in special-ed! She can’t be in the advanced class with an IEP!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!