Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They’re Insecure With Security

| Right | November 23, 2016

(I’ve just been hired on the Loss Prevention/Security team at an electronics store I regularly frequent. My manager is taking me through my first day’s training. It should be noted that LP has a different staff id badge design to the rest of the employees.)

Manager: “Now the one thing you need to remember, customers tend to behave differently around security personnel.”

Me: “As in they’re more polite? Less demanding?”

Manager: “Not exactly.”

(We’re later walking along an aisle when a customer comes up to us.)

Customer #1: “Excuse me, do you know where…” *she breaks off upon noticing our badges* “Oh, you’re security? Never mind, you can’t help me.”

(A while later my manager is explaining the in-store phone system when another customer approaches us.)

Customer #2: “Hey, can you call someone to tell me where the aisle for [Product #1] is?”

Me: “Sure, it’s just four aisles down that way and to the left.”

Customer #2: “Can you still call someone to show me? An actual store employee I mean? Not you rental security guys?”

(I look bewildered as my manager sighs and summons an employee. Another hour or so later, after I walked around the store a few times, I get stopped again by a couple.)

Customer #3: “Excuse me, we’re looking for [Product #2].”

Customer #4: “Honey, that’s a security guard. He doesn’t know the layout of this place.”

Me: “Uh… yes, I do. [Product #2] is at the end of aisle ten, just over—”

Customer #4: *ignoring me* “Come on, let’s find someone who actually works here proper.”

(They leave. From behind me, my manager stifles a giggle.)

Manager: “That’s what I was referring to about us getting a different treatment.”

(True to form, the entire time I worked there as LP customers would stop me, then walk off when they saw I wasn’t a regular store employee, adamant that apparently the folk whose entire job is to walk the store and know where everything is meant to be couldn’t possibly help them out.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!