Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Supervisor Needs To Stop Projecting

| Working | September 16, 2014

(I work as an IT consultant for a well-known company. I have just finished a four-month assignment out of town, and it was one of the most miserable experiences of my life. Shortly after I get back I get a call from my supervisor.)

Supervisor: [My Name], I heard you just got back from your assignment. How was it?”

Me: “Honestly? It was terrible. The project was mismanaged. Half the time I sat around with nothing to do. Flying to and from the customer’s location was a nightmare, because the only airline I could use was constantly cancelling flights and leaving me stranded. I missed my husband and two little daughters terribly. I never want to do anything like that again.”

Supervisor: “Good to know. Since you’re back now, we’d like to put you on another project.”

Me: “Okay!”

Supervisor: “This one will be in New Jersey.”

(Note: I live in Canada.)

Me: “But… that would be out of town again.”

Supervisor: *brightly* “That’s right!”

Me: “For how long?”

Supervisor: “I’m not sure. At least six months, though.”

Me: “Please don’t make me do that!”

Supervisor: “Why not?”

Me: “Because of all the reasons I just gave you?”

Supervisor: “Oh, right. Okay, I’ll find someone else.”

Me: “Thank you so much!”

(A short time later, my phone rings again.)

Unknown Caller: “Hello, [My Name]! My name is [Client]. [Supervisor] called me and gave me all your information. Welcome to our project. We’ll be expecting you in New Jersey next Monday.”

Me: “I’m terribly sorry, but there must have been a mistake. I told [Supervisor] that I couldn’t be part of your project.”

Client: “Oh? That’s not what she told me.”

Me: “I’m so sorry. There must be some confusion somewhere, but I won’t be able to come to New Jersey.”

Client: “That’s too bad. Thanks for telling me.”

(Less than five minutes later, my phone rings again.)

Supervisor: “HOW DARE YOU TELL [CLIENT] THAT YOU WOULDN’T BE PART OF HIS PROJECT!”

Me: “But I told you that I didn’t want to do it, and you said that was fine!”

Supervisor: “IT’S NOT FINE! YOU EITHER TAKE THAT ASSIGNMENT, OR WE’LL SERIOUSLY CONSIDER LETTING YOU GO!”

Me: “Do what you have to do.”

(Not surprisingly, I was laid off less than a month later. The good news is that I got a great job with a great company, and best of all, there’s no travel required!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!