Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Rendition And Dragons

| Friendly | November 4, 2016

(I run an after-school tabletop RPG club for a group of students aged between 14 and 15. I’ve been GM-ing this campaign for a few months now, and I try to keep the tone light-hearted. One session a student brings his younger brother, aged 11-ish, to the game. After setting him up with a character and going over the rules we return to the campaign. The party has captured and tied up a cultist who had attacked them, and are now trying and failing to get the prisoner to give them information.)

Younger Student: “I get piece of cloth and put it on the cultist’s face, then I pour water from my waterskin over the cloth.”

Me: “Okay… I don’t see what that’s going to accomplish. You get his face a bit wet and…” *slowly dawns on me exactly what his character is trying to do* “Oh, no, are you waterboarding him?”

Younger Student: *cheerfully* Yep!

(Fortunately, the party’s Paladin steps in to put a stop to the torture and I’m able to keep the game moving. After the session finishes I explain to the younger student what is and isn’t appropriate for high fantasy adventure.)


This story was featured in our Tabletop RPG roundup.

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to go to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!