Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Real Men In Bloom

| Friendly | May 22, 2016

(My husband’s grandfathers on both sides of his family love farming so he now has a love for plants and flowers. I occasionally get him bouquets of flowers for special occasions or just because. I got him a bouquet of daisies because he had been having a rough work week. As I approach the cashier the following takes place:)

Other Customer: “Those are lovely flowers! Are you getting them for your mother? I’m sure she’ll love them!”

Me: “No, sir, I’m getting them for my husband.”

Other Customer: *suddenly upset* “Why would a man want flowers? Can’t you just cook for him or get him beer? What kind of p**** is he?”

Me: “Well, sir, his grandfather was a botanist and so he’s been around flowers all his life.”

Other Customer: “Sounds to me like you married into a family of hippies. Doesn’t sound like any of them could be considered real men.”

(At this point I have become very defensive and decide to let the guy have it.)

Me: “Well, sir, I don’t know about you but last I checked, firefighters and army veterans are usually considered ‘real men.’ My in-laws have saved lives and seen people die. Just because a bouquet of flowers reminds my husband of good times with his LATE grandfather does not make him any less of a man. The fact that you have judged my family so harshly because of their hobbies and way of life does, however, make YOU less of a man.”

(The customer storms off as I turn back to the cashier.)

Male Cashier: “Don’t mind him; I think that’s really nice of you to do that for your husband. I’ve never seen a woman buy flowers for a man.”

Me: “Well it’s a win-win for me. He feels special and appreciated and I still get to enjoy his flowers, too.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!