Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Lack Of Appliance Compliance

| Right | December 16, 2014

(I work in the appliances department of a popular home improvement store. Occasionally, I go to the customer service desk to help out. On this particular evening, a customer is arguing with my older, Irish coworker. I walk over to help out.)

Me: “What’s the problem?”

Coworker: “Oh, she refused her appliances and wants a refund.”

Me: *to customer* “When were your appliances delivered?”

Customer: “At five-thirty.”

Me: “Today?”

Customer: “Yes.”

(I check the time and see it’s only six-forty pm. The delivery company office closes at five pm and so do our venders.)

Me: “Okay, ma’am. The delivery office is closed, and the notes indicating that you refused your appliances aren’t in the system yet. It won’t be until eight o’clock in the morning.”

Coworker: “Yeah, once the notes are in, there’s a 72-hour wait until we get the identification numbers for the appliances. Then, we can process your refund.”

Me: “We get the identification number from [appliance brand the customer bought from].”

Customer: “No, no, no. I buy from [Store], not [Appliance Brand].”

Coworker: “Yes, but we need those numbers in order to process the refund. The identification numbers let us know that the refused washer and dryer are back with [Appliance Brand]. Once the notes come in tomorrow morning, we’ll get the identification numbers and give you a call.”

Customer: “No. I buy from [Store]. I want my money now!”

Me: “Ma’am, this is our policy with [Appliance Brand]. There is nothing we can do until the notes show up in the system tomorrow morning and—“

(The customer grabs her paperwork and abruptly walks off to the appliance department. A short time later, another coworker calls me back to appliances because a customer wishes to return her appliances and get a refund. Low and behold, it’s the same customer.)

Customer: *freezes upon seeing me* “He call you?”

Me: “Yes, I’m the appliance specialist. What did you need?”

Customer: *points to a stacked washer and dryer* “I want those.”

Me: “Sure! I can set up an order for you.”

Customer: “But I want credit from this to use to that.” *waves her paperwork in front of me*

Me: “Ma’am, like I told you earlier, after the notes show up, it can take up to 72 hours for the identification numbers then—“

Customer: “I don’t understand why you can’t refund me. I want to buy these.”

Me: “And you can.”

Customer: “Then give me my money.”

Me: “Ma’am, I can’t. Not until we get the identification numbers from [Appliance Brand].”

Customer: “No, I didn’t buy from [Appliance Brand]. I bought from [Store]. You need to give me my money.”

Me: “Ma’am, the store cannot process any refund until we get the identification numbers from [Appliance Brand]. Once we have those, you’ll get your money back. Without it, we cannot do anything, especially since there aren’t any notes in the system yet.”

Customer: “And what if [Appliance Brand] goes bankrupt?”

Me: “I…I’m sorry?”

Customer: “What if [Appliance Brand] goes bankrupt? What happens to my money then?”

Me: “Believe me, ma’am. [Appliance Brand] will not go bankrupt.”

(Note: this particular appliance brand also makes TVs, laptops, and cellphones. It is practically impossible for them to go bankrupt. Especially in three days.)

Customer: “I said ‘if’. If they go bankrupt. [Another unrelated company] went bankrupt and I lost my money. What do I do if [Appliance Brand] goes bankrupt?”

Me: “Ma’am, that’s not really an issue nor a concern. You’re more than welcome to buy a new washer and dryer set, but you’ll have to wait 72 hours for your refund. I can show you some features this washer has—“

Customer: “But I want my money. If you don’t give me my money, I’ll go broke. I spent $3,000! I’m broke because of you. I’ll complain to your boss!”

Me: “I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can do until tomorrow morning.”

(The customer throws her hands up and promptly leaves the store. I relayed the story to my manager and Irish coworker. My manager laughed.)

Coworker: “Serves her right! Coming in here like the f****** Queen of England. Bleh!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!