Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Is Why We’re In A Recession, Part 35

| Right | December 17, 2014

(I work in a store, and part of my job is to ask our customers if they’d like to apply for a store credit card. A customer in her twenties comes through my line.)

Me: “Would you like to save [percent] by applying for a [Store] charge card?”

Customer: “Sure!”

(The applications go through our computer and the customer is immediately approved and a paper prints out with the credit limit and card number.)

Me: “Okay, it looks like you were approved today! You should get your [Store] card in the mail within the next two weeks. If you would like to put your purchase on your card today, it would save you another [percent]. Would you like to put it on the card? You can even pay it off in the store after we’re done.”

Customer: “Sure.”

(We put the purchase on the card and everything goes smoothly until the end.)

Me: “Okay, and would you like to pay your card off today or would you like to wait until you get your statement in the mail?”

Customer: “What? I have to pay for it twice?”

Me: “No, you haven’t actually paid for it yet. You put it on the store charge card.”

Customer: “Yeah, so why do I have to pay for it again?”

Me: “The store charge card is just like any other credit card. It has to be paid for after you use it.”

Customer: “What’s a credit card?”


This story is part of the Customers-Causing-Recessions roundup!

Read the next Customers-Causing-Recessions roundup story!

Read the Customers-Causing-Recessions roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!