Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

He’s Cat-atonic

| Learning | November 9, 2016

(I am one of the youth leaders of a group of 11 teens at a church youth camp that has about 150 teens total. I am attempting to get to know the teens a little better as I haven’t had much time to get to know them. I found out some of the girls have cats like I do and I jump on it as a chance to bond. While sharing stories about our cats antics and this is the weird conversation that happened because of that.)

Head Youth Leader: “Yeah, [My Name], it was odd because I have never had an allergic reaction to anything until I met your new cat. I was itchy and hay feverish after I left your house the other day.”

Me: *confused* “Oh, that strange… She is half Russian Blue… and they are known to have hypoallergenic qualities. My sister-in-law, who is allergic to cats, isn’t allergic to her.”

(The head youth leader shrugs, then the youngest teen in our group — a male, 13-year-old who is a farm kid — joins in rather loudly.)

Teen: “What on earth is a Russian Blue?!”

Me: “Oh, it’s a breed of cat. It’s one of my favourites behind Maine Coon.”

Teen: “There isn’t any such thing as cat breeds… Cats are cats.”

Me: *confused again* “Yes, there is… Just like dogs, German Shepherds and Beagles… Horses Arabs and thoroughbred… Cattle, Angus and poll Herefords.”

Teen: *getting annoyed* “No, there ISN’T!”

Me & Another Teen: “Yes, there is.”

(This leads to a 20-minute conversation where I ask him for a breed of cattle and I would answer with a breed of cat. At the end of it he still is not convinced.)

Me: “Okay, why do you think that there isn’t? I’m not going to keep going like this; I’m obviously not changing your mind.”

Teen: *condescendingly*  “Well, there isn’t a society for cats. There is no need for them to have breeds.”

Me: “Um. Yes, there is? My friend who gave me my youngest kitten has pure bred Russian Blues… She shows them for a living. It’s a rather lucrative business.”

Teen: “What do you mean? What’s the point of that?!”

Me: “What’s the point of showing horses and cattle?”

Teen: “BECAUSE!”

Me: *frustrated and amused at the same time* “Well… You let me know when you have a proper answer to that question and you will understand. But I assure you… There is more to cats than just… cats…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!