Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Handling Change Well

| Right | March 18, 2013

(A well-dressed, middle-aged man comes up to me with a friendly smile.)

Customer: “Excuse me, I’m sorry to be a bother. Could I possibly get change from you?”

Me: “Okay, come up to the till. I’ll help you out.”

Customer: “Thank you so much.”

(He hands me three €20 note.)

Customer: “If I could get a €50 note and a €10 note out of this, it’d be really helpful.”

(I take the three €20 notes, and hand him back the change.)

Customer: “Thanks. Sorry, but could I ask one more favor? Could I just get two €1 coins for this?”

(He hands me a €2 coin. I am feeling slightly suspicious now. I turn back to the till, take out the two one-euro coins, and hand them to the man. He doesn’t move.)

Me: “Is there something else?”

Customer: “You never gave me the €50 note.”

Me: “I’m pretty sure I did.”

Customer: “No, you definitely didn’t.”

Me: “Sir, I’m not giving you any more money. If you would like, you can come back during closing. If we’re €50 over the end of day report, I will be happy to rectify my mistake. However, I’m absolutely positive I did not make one.”

Customer: “Are you, really? This is ridiculous. You did not give me the money!”

Me: “I think I did.”

Customer: “You couldn’t have made a mistake? How are you so sure?”

Me: “Because the corner of the €50 note I gave you is sticking out of your sleeve.”

(Turns out he had done it to all the other shops on the street, and successfully conned two.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!