Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Drowning In Coddling

| Working | April 18, 2016

(I work with a medical needs camp. Because a lot of our kids have been coddled, and could be subject to hurtful words from their peers at school and such, our staff personality is fairly sarcastic and jokey/pranky to help kids learn to roll with punches. We are in the lake when a camper comes up to me and jumps into my arms like a fireman carry, which is easy as we are in water.)

Camper: *melodramatically* “Take me to safety.”

Me: “Hey, [Other Staff Member]!” *carrying camper towards them* “Let’s play No-More-Bubbles!”

(The other staff member looks up at the lifeguard expectantly, who shrugs in a joking “why-not?” way. The camper, kind of knowing we’re joking, but still playing along, starts screaming. In the middle of our antics, a Department of Health inspector comes along. We start to frantically explain that this is part of our rapport with our campers, and why, when the Department of Health inspector holds up their hand and cuts us off.)

Department Of Health Inspector: “Don’t worry. I think this is fantastic. More kids need to learn to have fun that way.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!