Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Doesn’t Understand The ‘Custom’ Part Of Customer, Part 10

, | Right | January 16, 2017

(The store I work in is located in a large mall. Occasionally we get calls asking for directions to our store located in the mall, and when I answer this call I assume that’s where the conversation is headed at first. Note that I’m on my own in the store at this point, because my coworker is out the back on her lunch break.)

Me: “Thanks for calling [Store]; you’re speaking with [My Name].”

Customer: “Are you near [Store Next Door]?”

Me: “Yes, we’re right next door.”

Customer: “Oh, good. Could you pop in there and speak to them for me? I’ve been trying to call them about my order but no one’s picking up the phone.”

Me: “I’m sorry; you want me to go next door?”

Customer: “Yeah, just go in real quick and ask them to check on my order for me. My name is—”

Me:” I’m sorry, ma’am, but I can’t leave my store at the moment. You’ll have to call [Store Next Door] back to check with them yourself.”

Customer: “They’re not answering the phone, and I’ve been trying for ages. You’re right next door. Just go and check with them.”

Me: “As I explained before, ma’am, I can’t leave my store right now. I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do to help you.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous. You’re just being lazy. This is terrible customer service!”

(The caller hangs up the phone before I get a chance to reply and I go about my day unaffected, until the phone rings again not ten minutes later…)

Me: “Thanks for calling [Store]. You’re speaking with [My Name].”

Customer: “Yes, hi. I was wondering if you could help me. I’m trying to get in contact with [Store Next Door] and they’re not answering their phone. I guess it must be a little busy over there. Would you mind popping next door and checking on my order for me?”

Me: “Ma’am, did you call about this just a moment ago?”

Customer: *flustered, since I’ve caught her out* “No. Look, I don’t know what you’re talking about. My name is [Customer]. Can you just pop next door and check on my order for me? I’ll hold the line.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but as I told you the last time we spoke, I cannot leave my store to check on your order. I’m on my own at the moment, and I have to serve customers here.”

Customer: “I’m a customer! Why won’t you help me?”

Me: “Are you interested in purchasing products from this store?”

(The customer promptly hung up on me.)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!