Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Common Sense Does Not Register

| Right | August 3, 2016

(I’m working the service desk when a guy comes up with a sheet from a registry.)

Customer: “This is my daughter’s registry. We tried to go online to delete this item –” *points to an item* “– but it won’t let us. Can you do that for me?”

Me: “Unfortunately not. She would have to go in and do it herself. And the item has been purchased?”

Customer: “Yeah, we bought it.” *sighs in frustration* “There’s a flaw in the system!”

Me: “Did you have the cashier scan this when you purchased it?”

Customer: “Well, we purchased it at a different store.”

Me: “Did you purchase it at a different location or did you get it at a different store altogether?”

Customer: “A different store altogether. So you’re saying you won’t take it off? This is a flaw in the system.”

Me: “Sir… we cannot take it off if you didn’t purchase it at our store. We cannot do anything with it on our end. We have NO access to people’s accounts. If you purchase it in our store or online, we can fix it then.”

Customer: “Why not? So if I buy it here, take it off, and return it, will that take it off the registry? Then no one else can buy it for her.”

Me: “No, because once you return it, it returns back to the registry.”

Customer: “Well, that’s a flaw they should fix. I get that they want to keep the business in the store, but I bought it; I should be able to take it off the registry!”

Me: *fed up after having a long night* “It’s. Not. A. Flaw. We can’t have it so anyone can go in and change things. If that were true, then things could be taken off EVEN IF THEY WEREN’T PURCHASED!”

(The man then walks out, still mumbling about how there’s a flaw in our registry system. Sadly, this was not the first time someone has asked me to take something off a registry that they did not buy in our store.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!