Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Canola Or Can’tola

| Right | September 9, 2015

(I work in something of a high end grocery store as a cashier. Most of our customers are great but every once in a while I come across one who thinks we aren’t high end enough. As part of my job I always try to ask the customers if they found everything they were looking for, and if not to then help them get it when that’s possible. A woman walks up to check out with a couple of items.)

Me: “Hi there! You find everything all right?”

Customer: “No, actually. I was disappointed you don’t have rapeseed oil. I really figured you would and I need it for a recipe. I think I’m going to have to go to a specialty store to get it now.”

Me: “You know, I could be wrong, but I think canola oil is another name for rapeseed oil. If you want I could page our grocery section to double check and see if we have any?”

Customer: *as though I don’t know what I’m talking about* “No, no, no, I don’t think so. I’ll just go to a specialty store.”

Me: “Are you sure? Because I’m pretty sure companies avoid calling it rapeseed oil because of what it sounds like. I think most use another name and I think it’s canola oil.”

Customer: “Yes, I’m sure!”

Me: “All right, well, have a good day and I hope you find it!”

(I looked it up later and I was right. Canola oil is another name for rapeseed oil. We definitely sell canola oil at our store.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!