Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Off-The-Wall Purchase

| Right | August 27, 2015

(I am a musician and an avid fan of rock and folk music, so I’m a little bit of a walking encyclopedia. One customer comes up with a Led Zeppelin book for thirty-five dollars, and we make small talk as I ring him up.)

Me: “So what’s your favorite Zeppelin album?”

Customer: “Oh, it’s my friend who’s the fan, not me. I just wanted to get him a gift.”

Me: “That’s awfully nice of you.”

Customer: “Yeah, he went to The Wall concert and loved it. I heard it was fantastic.”

(A light bulb goes off in my head.)

Me: “Wait…The Wall?”

Customer: “Erm… yes.”

Me: “That’s not Led Zeppelin, sir. That album’s actually Pink Floyd.”

Customer: “Oh… OH. Oh, dear! I got the wrong book!”

Me: *laughing* “No worries, sir! You just happen to be talking to a big fan of Floyd. Here, let me show you a better book.”

(I not only find the customer a book about ‘Pink Floyd’ for the same price as the ‘Led Zeppelin’ book, but I also convince him to get the newest ‘Rolling Stones’ collectible magazine specifically about the band. After I process the return and ring him up…)

Customer: “Good thing you happened to be working, my dear! Imagine me walking out with a book for my friend about the wrong band!”

Me: “It’s my pleasure as both a bookseller and a Floydian. Shine on, and have a good day!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!