Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Anxiety Understanding Absence

| Learning | December 20, 2016

(I’ve had issues with my first period teacher from day one because she doesn’t believe anxiety exists and that it’s just me being “shy,” so we’re already on bad terms when this story happens. I have just gotten to class after having to run to school when my alarm didn’t go off. I’m tired, frazzled, and the bell hasn’t rung yet when I get in the class. I just get to my desk and go to sit down when it does.)

Teacher: “Nope, you have to go get a pass.”

Me: “But… I was right by my seat!”

Teacher: “Pass, now. If you keep it up you’ll get a referral.”

Me: “I was literally in my seat and stopped sitting down because you yelled my name!”

Teacher: “DON’T TALK BACK. GO. PASS. NOW!”

(In most US high-schools, absences are treated less severely than lateness. If I got another late pass, I’d have a week of detention, but if I was just absent for that class, I’d just lose the grade. I  call my dad crying due to her yelling flaring my anxiety badly and the entire class staring. I go home until third period, after I’ve calmed down. The next day…)

Teacher: “Why didn’t you ever come back?!”

Me: “I didn’t want to get detention from being late so I just went home at the office.”

Teacher: “I’m so lenient with you, though!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!