Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #328257

, | Unfiltered | May 10, 2024

I’m autistic, but didn’t have a clue until I was in my late teens. While I don’t have an official medical diagnosis and don’t plan on pursuing one for legal reasons, I fit the symptoms and greatly benefit from the accommodations I’m able to secure for myself. One of these accommodations is a stim chew. For those who don’t know, it’s made out of food-grade silicone that’s cleaned with dish soap after every use and provides a better alternative for those who would otherwise end up satisfying the need to chew with gnawing on pencils, clothing, their own fingers, or food that they’re not actually hungry for.

While the urge to chew doesn’t hit me too often, it’s often enough that the stim chew is a good investment. Just in case, I mention it at my next dental appointment.

Me: “Before I forget, I did get a stim chew recently. I don’t use it too often, but I’m not sure what kind of effect it would have on my teeth.”

Hygienist: “You got a what now?”

Me: “A stim chew. It’s the [model] from [reputable stim chew company].”

Hygienist: “What’s that?”

Me: “It’s a piece of silicone that’s meant to be chewed on as a stim.”

Hygienist: “Why?”

Me: “It’s a kind of comfort. Here, I can pull up a picture.”

The hygienist looks doubtful.

Me: “It’s got to be better for my teeth than chewing on gummy worms whenever the urge hits.”

When the dentist came in, we had the exact same conversation, explanations and all. She shrugged and told me not to drag it over my teeth. Despite never using the stim chew in public, I’m definitely going to try to bring it with me next time.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!