Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #323880

| Unfiltered | March 28, 2024

This happens just after I’ve started a new job at a large office, so I don’t really know my colleagues yet and am not yet privvy to all the office drama.
I’m just sitting quietly at my desk, typing away, when a co-worker I don’t know yet almost barrels through the doors leading to the stairwell and the nearest restrooms, and calls out across the (open-plan) office floor:

Co-worker: “Does anyone here have a good sense of smell?”
I have no idea what she wants, but I am hyper-sensitive, so my time to shine, I guess? I raise my hand.

Me: “I do.”
Co-worker: “Good, come with me for a moment.”
I follow her back into the stairwell.

Co-worker: “Do you smell anything?”
I start sniffing, and yes, I do smell something out of place (and it’s not what you’re thinking).

Me: “Yeah, it’s faint but… smoke? Like, tobacco?”
Co-worker: “I knew it!”
She looks ready to run out and go fight someone, but thankfully takes some time first to explain.

Co-worker: “The ground floor is being renovated.” (we’re on the second) “And the workmen keep smoking sigarettes in the stairwell.” (smoking is not allowed anywhere in the building) “We’ve complained several times, and every time they promise to stop, but they never do. I’ve had it!”
She marches off to, I assume, yell at someone.

Unfortunately, I was forced to quit that job only a few days after due to an unexpected (in hind-sight, not so much) personal health-crisis, and I was never able to find out what exactly that co-worker said or did. But in any case, I never smelled sigarettes in that stairwell again.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!