Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Try Not To Make A Meal Out Of It

| Related | April 19, 2014

(My mother is very strict and after much pleading, she allows me to play at a friend’s. I’m seven years old.)

Mom: “Now, if they offer you food, DON’T TAKE IT! Who knows what kind of chemicals they put in their food.”

Me: “But I’m not going there to eat. I’m going to play.”

Mom: “Just say you won’t eat anything there! Otherwise, you can’t go and we’re turning around right now!”

(Scared that she would change her mind about letting me play with a friend, I agree that I won’t. My mom drops me off and my friend shows me to her room where we play games. A few hours pass and my friend’s mom calls out for us.)

Friend’s Mom: “Dinner time! You too, [My Name]!”

Me: “Um… I can’t.”

(They all look at me like I’m crazy, looking very offended.)

Friend: “Why not?”

Me: “I promised my mom that I wouldn’t. Otherwise she’ll never let me play at someone’s house again…”

(They look very shocked and start eating, while I watch with my stomach rumbling in hunger. It is extremely awkward and I can tell that they’re offended. Finally my mom comes to pick me up.)

Mom: “How was it? Did you have fun?”

Me: “I guess. They offered me food but I didn’t take any. I think they were insulted.”

Mom: “… Oh. It’s okay!”

(Even 15 years later, I still remind my mom about that when I want to point out how old fashioned her thinking is and every time she claims not to remember.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!