Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Invisible Customer Shops Again

| Working | August 28, 2014

(I go shopping at the new supermarket that has just opened up. I had an issue with the staff previously but decided to give them another chance. There are only two registers open, both with sizeable lines. I wait over 10 minutes for my turn; I’m not in a hurry so it isn’t a huge deal. I put my items on the belt and wait for the cashier to start scanning them. She stands there, not looking at me, hands on her hips sighing. I am about to ask what is wrong, but before I could she waved another customer over.)

Cashier: *to the other customer* “I’ll ring you up now.”

(The other customer walks around through the exit of the lane and stands in front of me and the cashier begins to scan his three items. I am trying to figure out what has just happened and decide not to say anything because I’m not one for confrontations and I just want to get out of there. Several minutes later she finally starts scanning my items. Note, she still hasn’t looked at me nor acknowledged I was standing there.)

Me: *because I work retail as well and know how demanding the job is, wanting to be polite* “Hi. How are you?”

(The cashier is still silent, and still won’t look at me. I am really frustrated by this point but I decide to let it go since it is almost over. I then notice that she has just put my grapes at the bottom of a bag and put a liter of coke on top.)

Me: “Oh, ma’am, can you take the coke out of that bag? I don’t want my grapes smashed.”

(She finally looks up at me, rolls her eyes but still says nothing, and continues to scan without moving the coke. I reached over take the coke out of the bag and place it in my cart. I start loading up the bags when I see her putting some lunch meat in with a bleach based cleaning product. Now I’m quite irritated.)

Me: “Ma’am, could you not put the food in with the bleach?”

(The cashier rolls her eyes again, still not making a move to correct the problem. Instead, the last few items she scans passive-aggressively, snickering and putting a single item per bag.)

Me: *after re-bagging my items and paying, more irritated than I’d like to admit* “Well, I hope you have a better day tomorrow.”

Cashier: *still silent*

(As I was turning to walk away, she turns to the customer who was behind me.)

Cashier: “What the h*** was her problem?”

(I leave, silently fuming but vowing never to go into that store again.)

IP Address:

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!