Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Should Have Tossed The Salad

Working | March 18, 2016

(I work in the deli department of my store. Before the store opened I checked the display cases for out-of-date items and removed them to be scanned out. I found a salad that wasn’t out-of-date but looked completely disgusting, with the lettuce all dark and rotten-looking, and it was leaking a funny-smelling liquid. When my manager arrived, he looked over the things I pulled from display.)

Deli Manager: “This salad isn’t out-of-date.”

Me: “I know, but just look at it. It’s pretty gross.”

Deli Manager: “But it’s not out-of-date.”

Me: “Are you saying you want me to put it back in the cold case?”

Deli Manager: “Well, it’s not out-of-date, is it?”

Me: “No, but I don’t feel comfortable selling it. Would you buy that?”

Deli Manager: “If it’s not out-of-date, it doesn’t go in the out-of-date box. You’re just costing us money.”

Me: “Fine.”

(I put the ugly salad back. Two hours later, the store manager brings it right back.)

Store Manager: “Have you seen this salad?”

Me: “Talk to him.” *pointing to the deli manager*

Store Manager: “[Deli Manager], did you see this? We can’t sell this!”

Deli Manager: “[My Name] must have put it there. He didn’t pull it this morning and I found it when I came in. He must have put it back on the shelf when I wasn’t looking.”

Me: “Stay classy, [Deli Manager].”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!