Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Paying The Price For Your Behavior

| Right | October 31, 2017

(I work at a retail store that specializes in party supplies and costumes for the Halloween season. It is Halloween day and we are short-staffed, surrounded by a sea of last-minute costume shoppers. I am currently grabbing some merchandise for another customer while on a ladder when a new customer approaches me.)

Customer: “Hey, lady.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am?”

(The customer shoves a costume accessory in my face. It’s one I’ve never seen before, meaning my managers had found it in the back and put it on display that day to try and get rid of it. These items don’t have marked prices, meaning you can only tell how much it is when you ring it up.)

Customer: “Tell me how much this is.”

Me: “Sure, ma’am. Where did you find it? Did you happen to see the price sticker on the peg it was hanging on?”

Customer: “You think I’m [disabled slur]? I done got this off a peg and there wasn’t no d*** price on it! Now tell me how much it is!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I actually can’t tell you how much that product is because I don’t have a price check gun. My manager is walking around with one. I can go and find him for you, or you can go up to the register and have them check it for–”

Customer: “F*** that! I ain’t waiting in that d*** long-a** line! You gonna tell me right NOW how much this is!”

Me: “I’m very sorry, ma’am, but I really don’t have the capability to tell you the price of this item. I can take it up front for you and scan it myself once I’ve finished helping this–”

Customer: “No, stupid! Just tell me how much it is right now!”

Me: “Again, ma’am, I’m sorry but I can’t do that. I can’t just make up a price for that item. I’m very sorry. The girls at the register up front can help you, or my manager can. If you won’t let me get them for you, there’s nothing else I can do.”

(The customer begins to stalk off, huffing loudly.)

Customer: “But you work here, b****!”

(Having seen this entire scene, the customer I’d been helping previously begins to laugh.)

Customer #2: “Happy Halloween!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!