Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Thinking Outside The Boxes

| Working | January 7, 2017

(One of my coworkers has his own sense of humor, as well as work ethic. He can be very hard-working at times, but he is also very sarcastic and unhelpful. During one afternoon, a load of paper is delivered for our production printer. This order consists of about 30 boxes of paper, weighing somewhere around 15 lbs or so each. There are only three people in the office at the moment: the above-mentioned coworker, Coworker #1, the graphic designer, Coworker #2, and me.)

Me: *to [Coworker #1]* “Can you help me move the boxes from outside to the place we store the paper near the printer?”

(He brushes me off, so I go and start hauling in boxes by myself. Coworker #2 comes back from lunch and freaks out that I’m moving boxes, as she thinks only the guys should carry heavy things. I’m only 5’2″ and she doesn’t like me carrying boxes that are nearly my size. She goes into his office and I can hear her from where I am making room for more paper boxes in the printer area.)

Coworker #2: “[Coworker #1]! Did [My Name] ask you to help with the paper?”

Coworker #1: “Maybe.”

Coworker #2: “Well, you need to go help. She’s doing it by herself.”

(She bugs him enough that he comes and helps. I get a phone call and step away for a few minutes and return to find he has finished and is back in his office. However, he has placed the boxes in one single stack! He is over 6′ tall, so it’s easy for him, but the pile goes nearly to the ceiling – and is leaning dangerously to one side. I immediately go back to his office.)

Me: “Hey, will you please come fix the paper? I need it in three small stacks.”

Coworker #1: “You just said you needed it inside. It’s inside.”

Me: “Right, but it’s less accessible now because of the way it’s piled up. Neither [Coworker #2] nor I can get boxes off the top. Plus, it’s dangerous the way it’s all leaning over.”

Coworker #1: “Sorry, I’m busy. You can manage.” *turns back to computer and puts his headphones on*

(I was not pleased but it was clear I wouldn’t get him to fix it. Thankfully, our boss came back from his meeting shortly after, and as the paper boxes were next to the doorway into his office, he immediately noticed and Coworker #1 was made to fix his gigantic pile of boxes!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!