Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Noisy Complaints Are All-Enveloping

| Right | July 10, 2013

(I am in a rather lengthy line at the post office to buy a bunch of stamps for work; it is early afternoon. An elderly customer behind me is complaining loudly to no one in particular about the wait.)

Customer: “I can’t believe they’re making us wait like this. It’s the middle of the day; the line shouldn’t be like this! I have places to be!”

(I glance back at her, but don’t really pay much attention.)

Customer: “This is ridiculous! They could just open up more lines and get us all through here quickly, but they just make us all wait in line.”

(When I get to the front of the line, the customer makes a big show of loudly counting all of the closed cashier stands and complaining. I ask the clerk for my stamps, and he goes to the back to get them, as I need more than he has at his station.)

Customer: “Oh, now one of them is leaving? I can’t believe this!”

(The customer suddenly walks up to the counter to stand next to me. When the clerk comes back, she speaks up.)

Customer: “I need to buy these things, now.”

Me: “Excuse me? He’s still helping me.”

Customer: “Well, I just need to buy a few things.”

Me: “So do I. It’ll just be a moment.”

Customer: “You’re buying a ton of stamps! I just need these envelopes.”

(I finally pay enough attention to realize what she’s holding: several flat rate envelopes.)

Me: “Ma’am, those are free.”

Customer: “What?”

Me: “You can take those for free. You just have to pay the postage when you bring them back in.”

(The customer looks at the clerk, who nods.)

Customer: “Well, how was I supposed to know that?! Someone should have told me sooner!”

Me: “It’s written all over the stand you grabbed them from.”

(The customer looks back at the stand, and sees that I’m right. She then leaves in a huff, complaining about the post office wasting her time.)


Did you find this story using our Postal Workers Workers roundup?

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!