Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Honesty Is The Sweetest Policy

| Right | October 3, 2012

(An Hispanic woman and her son, who is about six, come into the store. The mother gets the little boy a soda and he grabs a candy bar. Note: they are standing in the middle of our candy aisle, which I don’t have a completely clear view of.)

Little Boy: “Mama, can I have this? I’ve been good!”

Mother: *in English* “No, put it back. I don’t have the money for it and the soda.” *in Spanish* “Just put it in your pocket. She will never know.”

Little Boy: “No!”

Mother: *in Spanish* “That stupid b**** will never know! She can’t see you from there!”

Me: “Excuse me, ma’am?”

Mother: *innocently smiles* “Yes?”

Me: *in Spanish* “The stupid b**** speaks Spanish.” *in English* “So, if you’re smart, you’ll either put the candy bar on the counter with the soda, or put it back. It’s your choice.”

(The mother puts the candy bar back, pays for the drink, and then walked out. The little boy lags behind and approaches the counter by himself.)

Little Boy: *shakes his head* “I don’t know why mama thinks white people don’t know Spanish.” *whispers* “That’s racist!” *normal volume* “Don’t worry, when we get home Daddy and I will put Mama in time-out for being bad and saying a dirty word!”

(The kid made my day, so I bought him the candy bar for being honest and so adorable!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!