Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Driving To The Wrong Conclusion

| Right | August 8, 2014

(The company I work for has a competition to win a car for customers who purchase a sewing machine and have store membership. A customer comes in, thrusting a receipt at me, in broken English.)

Customer: “I pick up.”

Me: *looking at receipt* “Oh, you are here to pick up a machine you have already paid for? What name is it under?”

Customer: “I pick up.”

Me: “Yes, I know. I need your name.”

Customer: “I buy sewing machine. I pick up.” *points to competition sign*

Me: “What do you want to pick up?”

Customer: “I buy sewing machine. Get car.”

Me: “Oh, no, that is a competition. If you buy sewing machine you might win a car.”

Customer: “Where car?”

Me: “Competition is to WIN car, which will be drawn in two weeks. You might win a car.”

Customer: “Car not here.”

Me: “No, come back in two weeks to see if you won it.”

Customer: “I get car?”

Me: “Only if you win it.”

Customer: “Can get car in two weeks?”

Me: “If you win it, we will let you know. Good luck.”

(The customer leaves. I wait until they are safely out the door before I stop biting my lips in an effort not to laugh.)

Coworker: “You were with them for ages. What was wrong?”

Me “They thought they got a free car with a $200 sewing machine.”

Coworker: “You’re having me on. That’s a joke?!”

(Two weeks later…)

Coworker: *to me* “Those customers came back in to pick up the car. I thought you were joking that day.”

(They came in two more times looking for their free car!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!