Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Archive for January, 2013

Jump to page:

Anniversaries Require Sweeping Gestures

| Romantic | January 1, 2013

(My dad plays in a band, and they often play wedding receptions. During one such instance, someone runs out during the wedding to buy a broom to use as a pole for the limbo. It is after the reception.)

Groom: “Does anyone have use for this broom?”

My Dad: “Oh! Do you mind if I take it? It’s mine and my wife’s anniversary. I can’t wait to see the look on her face!”

A Thick Slice Of Humble Pie

| Right | January 1, 2013

(I am a waitress at a well-known restaurant chain. It is during the holidays. We have a run on pecan pie this afternoon, so I don’t have any ready yet. This takes place after a table of three has finished their meal.)

Me: “Would you guys like any desert? We have a lovely selection of pies.”

Customer #1: “What do you have?”

(I list the several kinds of pie we have available.)

Customer #2: “Oh, I’ll have the chocolate cream.”

Customer #1: “Pumpkin, please.”

Customer #3: “Do you have any pecan pie?”

Me: “Not right now. We had a lot of people wanting pecan today, but I can start one thawing for you. It’ll take about 10 minutes.”

Customer #3: “Never mind, then.”

Me: “Sorry, I have other pies. Would you like one of those?”

Customer #3: “No.”

(I leave and bring out the two pies and the bill, asking them if that was all. They said yes. In ten minutes, I look in on them again.)

Me: “How was everything?”

Customers #1 & #2: “Great.”

Customer #3: “Where’s my pecan pie?”

Me: “I’m sorry, I thought you said ‘Never mind.’ I can have it out to you in a few minutes, though.”

Customer #3: *irritated* “Never mind, then!”

Me: “Are you sure, sir?”

Customer #3: *sighs* “Yes.”

Me: “Sorry about that. You guys have a good day, though.”

(I leave them and go over to the register because a banquet party of 70+ people are waiting to cash out. Customer #3 comes over to the register to cash out, so I tell him it’ll be a moment because of the line. Instead, he speaks to my manager who happens to be right behind me.)

Customer #3: *angrily, to my manager* “I never got my pie!”

Manager: “I’m so sorry, sir.” *turns to me* “Hey, why didn’t he get his pie?”

(I explain the whole thing.)

Manager: “I’m sorry, sir. There seemed to have been some confusion. I can take the pie off your bill.”

Me: “It was never on there because he never ordered it.”

Customer #3: “I want a discount!”

Manager: “For a pie you never ordered? It’s not on your bill. If it were on your bill, I could take it off.”

Customer #3: “She is a stupid waitress! I wanted pie! I never got it! I want my meal free!”

Manager: “And why would I give you a free meal because of a misunderstanding over a pie you never ordered?”

Customer #3: “BECAUSE THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!”

Manager: *firmly* “No. Sometimes the customer is very wrong! Please pay your bill as it stands, or I call the cops and you can explain to them why you’re always right, and shouldn’t go to jail over a piece of pie you never ordered.”

(Customer #3 blushes, pays, and all but runs out leaving his friends to stammer their apologies.)


This story is part of our They Said The Thing roundup!

Read the next They Said The Thing roundup story!

Read the They Said The Thing roundup!