Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Beautiful Brogue So Rambling And Sweet

| Romantic | November 8, 2011

(I am the only cashier working at this moment. An elderly man, clearly from Ireland, approaches the counter. We are not busy and there is nobody else in line, so we talk for a while and after I ring him through.)

Elderly Man: “I’m buying this for my wife. And this one’s for my daughter-in-law. It’s so hard to decide what to buy for the ladies these days.”

Me: “Yeah, it’s hard to pick things out for the guys, too.”

Elderly man: “Do you have a guy?”

Me: “No I don’t, but I don’t mind–”

Elderly man: “Well, don’t be discouraged! You’re a lovely young lady; very helpful and polite. All you need to do is be yourself, and don’t change for any man. I know if I was a younger man, you would be a good challenge for me. You’re not easy like all the other girls today. You’re very respectable.”

(He’s talking quite loudly, within earshot of several women hanging around nearby. They’re all listening and laughing.)

Me: “Oh…well, thank-you. I appreciate that. Let me run your debit through.”

Elderly Man: “That would be wonderful. By the way, all these fields of clover in this town, when do they get harvested?”

Me: “Um…I don’t know, sir. Right before the frost, maybe?”

Elderly man: “Oh! That makes sense, I never thought of that.”

(I finish ringing him through and bagging his purchases.)

Elderly man: “Thank you. You’ve satisfied an old Irish man’s curiosity.”

Me: “Glad I could help, have a great day!”

Elderly man: “You too, my dear! Stay single!”

Lady approaching the counter: “Yeah…stay single…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!