Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #57214

Unfiltered | June 27, 2017

I am male. Prior to this I was dating a guy for about two months. One evening we were out shopping together when a person who works in the same environment as me (not the same employer) notices us holding hands and, in no uncertain terms, turns into a homophobic arsehole. He does the usual of calling us faggots and asking “which one of us is the woman.” he also follows us out to my car and stands there grinning at us as we drive away. My boyfriend at the time wasn’t fully out, so I think it shook him a little more than it did me, and heralded the end of our relationship. I still had to work with the homophobe though, and for seven months I put up with him addressing me as faggot whenever we saw each other, and ignoring him as best I could. It wasn’t a good time and I have to admit I was fearful of telling anyone. In the end I was moving after Christmas so I decided to just endure it. When it came to my last day there, I was walking out when I saw him again. Realising this was probably the last time I would see him, something in me changed.

Homophobe: *grinning* Haven’t see a fag like you in a while.

I walk past him but then stop. I turn around and notice him standing right behind me, so he was probably going to follow me out and hurl abuse. Something then finally snaps.

Me: Really, is that the best you can do?

Homophobe: *still grinning, but looking shocked*

Me: You use the most bog standard insult you can think of? Like, are you an idiot? If you want to actually insult me, put some fucking effort into it! “Fag. Faggot.” What are you, 12?

His grin disappears, but I realise he could probably beat the crap out of me. When he doesn’t move I just turn around and leave as soon as possible. When I get in my car, I see him. He hasn’t moved, but he has such a confused expression.

I can’t tell you how good it made me feel finally getting rid of that tension. Whatever I said seemed to rattle him so much that I wish I had been brave enough sooner. I could have saved me several months of grief.

I haven’t been back since, and I hope I never have to.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!