Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Snowed Under With Work

, | Working | October 29, 2014

(Because I walk to work, if it gets too cold or there’s too much snow, they’ll call me and tell me not to come in, and I can come in early or stay late the next day to make up the hours.)

Manager: “Hey, [My Name], just letting you know we won’t need you tonight, but you can come in at 11 tomorrow if you want.”

Me: “Would it be possible for me to stay late instead? I’m babysitting in the morning and I don’t think I’ll make it there by 11.”

Manager: “Can you try and make it by noon?”

Me: “I’ll see what I can do. If it’s another snow day for the schools I don’t think I can, but I’ll call by 11 tomorrow and let you know.”

(The next day rolls around and sure enough, the schools get a snow day so I can’t make it in by noon. I call at 10:30.)

Me: “…so I’ll be in at my scheduled time today, not any earlier, but I can stay late if you need me to.”

Manager: “But this isn’t enough notice! You have to call three hours before you’re scheduled. A lot of people called out today because of the snow. I need you to come in. Get here by noon or I’m writing you up!”

Me: “But—”

Manager: “GET HERE OR YOU’RE FIRED!”

(I called her boss and explained the situation, and was told that technically, because it was so cold, I should have been told not to come in at all!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!