Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You’re Finnished!

| Related | September 11, 2016

(I’m spending a year abroad as an au pair with a large family. At that point, I’ve been with them for nearly six months, spending the larger part of my weekdays with two young girls who speak only Finnish. I am learning the language, but am quite shy speaking it around adults. We are having a large gathering at home and my task is to keep the girls happy.)

Me: *sitting with [Girl #1], seeing [Girl #2] go by with an empty plate* “[Girl #2], do you want more?”

(I’ve mispronounced it and am quite embarrassed. Every adult around turned to look at me.)

Girl #2: “What?”

Me: *correcting my pronunciation* “Do you want more?”

(Thankfully she says yes, so I flee inside away from the guests. Later, I recount the incident to my host mom, in English.)

Host Mom: “Oh, I heard about it! Someone mentioned it to me; they were all impressed that you could speak any Finnish at all!”

(My days would have been terribly long at that point if I couldn’t have asked a question that simple!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!