Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

You’re All Equally Poorly Received

, , , | Right | December 13, 2017

(I work in an amusement park. Normally children are happy, but the parents will cause you a lot of trouble, because everything suddenly is YOUR fault, even though it’s not. I’m at the entrance to the outdoor water play area which is divided into two parts: the big area and the small one. To enter the big one, children under the age of five must be with a responsible adult, and the adult has to shower completely and take their shoes off first, for hygienic reasons. All these rules are clearly stated at more than one sign. A dad is coming up to the entrance, along with a very small girl who is wearing a swimming diaper.)

Me: “Hello there!” *to the girl* “How old are you, my friend?”

(She holds up three fingers.)

Dad: “She is three and a half, actually.”

Me: “Well, people under the age of five must be accompanied by an adult, and—”

Dad: “Yes, yes, I’ll go with her!”

Me: “…but then you have to shower first—” *points at sign right next to me* “—for hygienic reasons. So, I’ll recommend that you change to swimwear.”

Dad: “But I don’t have swimwear! Don’t be a fool and let my daughter in!”

Me: “I can’t, sorry. But you can take her to the small play area. You don’t have to shower to take her.”

Dad: “But she wants to go in there! Why can’t she?”

Me: “Because she isn’t five yet. Children under the age of five must be accompanied by an adult, as stated at the sign over there.”

Dad: “But what about that girl? She clearly isn’t five, either!”

Me: “Well, I don’t know about that, but her parents told me she was, so I have to believe them.”

Dad: “So, can’t I just tell you she’s also five?!”

Me: “You already told me otherwise, so I would know you were lying. I’m very sorry, but I can’t let her in without an adult.”

(At this point it gets very annoying having to explain the same thing over and over again.)

Dad: “It’s because of our color, isn’t it?” *the family is Indian*

Me: “Excuse me?!”

Dad: “You heard me. You just don’t want people like us in here.”

Me: “No, believe me. I’m treating you just as poorly as I’m treating the rest of our guests. I’m just following the rules, and I’ll do my very best to make you do the same!”

(The guests left, angrily. My manager told me to maybe phrase it another way next time.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!