Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Playing Doctor, To A Degree

| Working | January 31, 2013

(I’m a nurse and work with a know-it-all healthcare assistant. I’ve just started in the job but he has been there 2 years. One day, I hear him shouting at a patient.)

Coworker: “YOU CAN’T HAVE ANY PAINKILLERS! YOU HAD SOME HALF AN HOUR AGO!”

Patient: “I’m really sore; are you sure?”

Coworker: “YES! NOW SHUT UP!”

(I go to the patient and check his prescription. He hasn’t had any pain meds. I talk to him and find he is in pain from intensive physio earlier that day.)

Me: “Hey, [coworker], why are you telling him he can’t have any pain meds?”

Coworker: “Because he can’t. The drug round was half an hour ago… he had some then. He can’t have more!”

Me:I’m the nurse here. I give the meds. If you knew how to read a prescription, you’d know he didn’t have any pain meds at the last round but he’s written up for painkillers as and when he needs them. Next time, if a patient says he’s in pain, tell me and I will check out if they can have any. Not you… okay?”

(As a result of this conversation, my coworker hasn’t spoken to me for over five months.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!