Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Change Your Change Tactics

| Working | October 3, 2016

(It’s late and supermarkets here in Bavaria have to be closed after 8:00 pm by law, so I have to stop at a gas station to run some errands. It’s only two things and I quickly calculate that they’ll cost me 11,99€. I prepare 22,00€ in a 20€ bill and 2€ in coins.)

Cashier: “That’ll be 11,99€.”

Me: “Sure, here you go.”

(I drop the 22€. I can see her punching in 20€ but don’t think much of it until I hear her getting coins out of the register.)

Me: “Oh, sorry. I actually gave you 22€. Maybe you’ve not seen the coins.”

Cashier: “Yeah, I saw. But it only costs 11,99€. The bill is enough.”

Me: “I know. I just dislike having too much coins in my wallet. This way you can just give me a 10€ bill.”

Cashier: “But you’ll only get 8,01€. Just look at the display of the register.”

Me: “Yeah, but that’s what the 2€ are for.”

(The cashier looks dumbfounded.)

Me: “Two plus eight are…? 10€.”

Cashier: “I’m not letting you scam me! Please take your change and leave!”

(She drops the 8,10€ on the counter and sternly looks at me. I, even though exceptionally bewildered, just take my coins and leave. The kicker? I’m pretty sure I saw that girl again some weeks later, heading into our local university!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!